View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Actually, any set of tires/rims will work just fine. Yes, you'll have a tire low warning if you're running without the sensors, but so long as you ignore it you're fine. I ran all last winter without them, no worries.

If you want the sensors, then Tire Rack or other vendors will happily sell you sensors. I think you'll need to go to the dealer to have them code the tires and then have them reconfigure them again when you get your old wheels back on... but that shouldn't be a big deal.

I spent less than a grand on all four tires and rims. Yes they were cheap rims and non-run-flat tires, but they are for winter and I am less concerned about how they look. Yes the non-run-flat concerned me a little, but I have BMW Assist and my insurance also has towing coverage so I really don't care about a flat. I have run non-run-flat tires for years and only had a couple of flats... statistically I don't really care all that much.

Yes, if I were out in the boonies I'd probably worry a bit more... but I live in a reasonably large city (St. Louis) where recovery is easy enough. Plus, this time of year I tend not to travel too much by road.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net