View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
New shocks'll make a pleasing diff. FSD's matched to BMW springs - I'd do that if I were you.

Naturally, you'll be checking suspension parts for bushing & ball joint wear.

Non-RFT's, def - that's the drill.
I had the same car as you. Regular tires helped. Koni FSDs helped some more. But still wasn't great. My issue was never with the firmness of the ride. It had to do with the crash/harsh/loud nature of the ride. Rough patches of pavement would rumble loudly into the cabin.

For the past two years, I had an RS4. It was firmer, with less body roll than my 330. But it was MUCH quieter over rough pavement. I could feel the bumps, but it didn't sound like the car was crashing over them. A lot of people blame the larger rims on the rough ride. Well, the RS4 actually had 19 inch rims, one inch larger than the 330.

I now have a 2009 335 with a sport package. Even with stock shocks and RFTs, the ride isn't as loud as my 2006 was. It's nowhere near as quiet as my RS4, but it's passable. And I know I can likely improve it with Koni FSDs and regular tires.

I'm not sure why the ride on my 2006 was so bad. Yes, you can improve it further with FSDs (especially at higher speeds), but don't expect a miracle. Good luck!