View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_328XI View Post
Hello Guys/Gals,

I recently moved to Montana and we get a great deal of snow. I am wanting to switch my summer wheels (19's) back to my stock wheels(16's) with a little more aggressive tire for winter. I ran into a problem at the tire place (les schwab) saying that the "tire pressure monitoring system" was corroded to the valve stem and couldn't swap the sensors over to my winter wheels.

I went to a second party BMW auto shop and he quoted me $100 each ($400) total for new pressure sensors for my winter wheels.

So I guess I am asking if there is a way around the TSP warning light just for the winter? or am I kind of stuck paying $400 for the sensor & tire stem plus whatever it cost to mount and balance the wheels?

Also is there any cheaper place to buy these sensor other then the dealer?

Thanks for all your help,

Montana Guy
328XI
Several questions are in order here. How old is your car? Are you out of warranty? Do they use salt on the roads in your area? Did the BMW dealer confirm the corrosion?

They do have "rebuild kits" for these TPMS but it's difficult to imagine the extent of corrosion you have. All four would be strange IMO. A TPMS can be ruined by a shop inserting a brass valve core during tire service vs. the required nickel plated valve core (prevents galvanic corrosion).

We rarely hear of TPMS corrosion issues in here.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA