View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
As Sharbotcom noted, all-seasons are too hard in cold weather to be effective. Once the regular daytime temp remains below 7C or 45F they are no longer soft enough to provide good traction and handling. Winter tires are not just for traction but also for superior braking and cornering. These benefits are not available with any type of all-season tire.
The X-drive will help with acceleration but it doesn't help with braking, especially in slushy, slippery conditions.
Go with winter tires and enjoy your car to its potential.
Remember the most important part of winter driving is the person behind the wheel.
You are talking about summer tires, not all seasons. All seasons grip much below that.

I lived in the Northeast for 34 years and the mid-atlantic for 4. During that time I had RWD, 4WD and AWD. For the most part, with AWD or 4WD, I was 100% fine with all seasons. We just don't get that much snow up there to justify full snows. Plus, I never "HAD" to make it anywhere, so if the snow was really bad, I could stay home or take off.

If you live in a rural area that doesn't get plowed, has big drifts, etc, you might think differently. But I was in New Hampshire in February with a ton of snow on All Seasons with AWD and I was fine...both going, stopping and turning.

Alan, I think you're fine.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians