View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I'm new to it all, but I just call my Porsche a Porsche. Also, you keep expressing the ideal that one must track their performance cars in order to qualify as worthy car owners or car enthusiasts. I don't track my cars for liability reasons, but let me assure you that I enthusiastically enjoy owning and driving my cars.
I'm not expressing that as an ideal and it's not my definition of an enthusiast. I just know lots of people who track their daily driver cars and also those who have dedicated track cars. In my experience it's these people who are the most enthusiastic about their cars, hence an "enthusiast". I'm sure that there are Prius owners who are just as enthusiastic about their cars, also "enthusiasts", but you're probably never going to see one on a track. They seem more inclined to view the "performance" of their cars by how good their mileage is. The Porsche owners in the local Porsche club, with whom we share joint Tech Sessions, are probably the most enthusiastic about the performance aspects of their cars than any other owner group that I know. Some of these people own both BMWs and Porsches. These are the people I mentioned who refer to their Porsches as P-cars.

One doesn't have to own a "performance car" to be an enthusiast, nor does one become an enthusiast by merely owning a performance car. One also doesn't have to track their "performance car" to enjoy it, although if you have a performance car and you don't track it you're missing out on an awful lot of fun. Regardless how enthusiastically you enjoy owning and driving your car, you will never fully realize the full extent of the engineering and performance of your car because you just can't legally drive that way on the street. You say that you don't track your cars for "liability reasons" but that really isn't an excuse because if you're that paranoid about driving at a track event you can buy per-event track insurance.

Let me stress, these are all my opinions and my experiences with people I know or have known. YMMV.

Our discussions are way off topic for this thread and I really don't think this is the appropriate thread for further discussion of this topic.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!