View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I'm not expressing that as an ideal and it's not my definition of an enthusiast. I just know lots of people who track their daily driver cars and also those who have dedicated track cars. In my experience it's these people who are the most enthusiastic about their cars, hence an "enthusiast". I'm sure that there are Prius owners who are just as enthusiastic about their cars, also "enthusiasts", but you're probably never going to see one on a track. They seem more inclined to view the "performance" of their cars by how good their mileage is. The Porsche owners in the local Porsche club, with whom we share joint Tech Sessions, are probably the most enthusiastic about the performance aspects of their cars than any other owner group that I know. Some of these people own both BMWs and Porsches. These are the people I mentioned who refer to their Porsches as P-cars.

One doesn't have to own a "performance car" to be an enthusiast, nor does one become an enthusiast by merely owning a performance car. One also doesn't have to track their "performance car" to enjoy it, although if you have a performance car and you don't track it you're missing out on an awful lot of fun. Regardless how enthusiastically you enjoy owning and driving your car, you will never fully realize the full extent of the engineering and performance of your car because you just can't legally drive that way on the street. You say that you don't track your cars for "liability reasons" but that really isn't an excuse because if you're that paranoid about driving at a track event you can buy per-event track insurance.

Let me stress, these are all my opinions and my experiences with people I know or have known. YMMV.

Our discussions are way off topic for this thread and I really don't think this is the appropriate thread for further discussion of this topic.
I own a 911 GTS and a couple of BMWs, and fortunate to have hundreds of miles of lightly traveled roads available within minutes of my house, that wind through hilly farmlands and mountainous terrains, and where driving is exciting and pure pleasure.

I have looked into track day insurance products and they fall short of protecting me should a tragic accident occur. My umbrella coverage will not cover/protect me, and because my auto policy won't cover me, I lose the benefits of stacking the coverages from 7 vehicles that we own. In the opinion of the law firm that represents us, we would be vulnerable to law suits seeking damages well beyond the track day coverages, at least.

I have read numerous articles covering track accidents resulting in severe injuries and death, as well as damage to other cars, the track and facility. I seem to remember one involving a Porsche GT several years ago. An accident like that could financially wipe someone out. It's not worth potentially losing what has taken a lifetime to build.

At this stage in my life, I figure it's better just to enjoy my driving excursions with the top down during a beautiful day and experiencing some of the best performance ever produced, as conditions allow.

Last edited by beden1; 11-15-2012 at 07:23 PM.