View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 140k
UPDATE: $110 Sachs red label "Advantage" struts.
The strut/end link combo definitely solved the issue.
The clunking at low speeds is gone.

I ordered all the parts from AutoHauz for about $410 total. (BMA for the Lemforder sway bar end links)
(struts, strut mounts, boots, stoppers, upper/lower rubber spring pads, sway bar end links)
Got them all installed by an indy for $300. Total about $700 for everything.

Both original 130k mile struts were blown. You could pull the piston in and out easily with your hands.
The driver's side even had a leak, and therefore was caked in dirt.
While installing, they seemed to have an issue with the red label being a slightly different length of piston arm (shorter)
They had to compress the spring a little more than normal to get the bolt on. (3 rungs instead of 2)
But, in the end, they got the coil back on, and all seemed the same length as the OE strut.
I also reminded them to seat the coil before the "dip/lip" in the housing, as indicated in one of these threads.

FYI, they said they never replace the strut mounts, and they just repack some grease into them.
(Mount bearings don't really spin at rpm like a belt pulley or wheel hub bearing)
But, one of my mounts' bearing was a little "rough" b/c the protective cap was missing.
So, I replaced both strut mounts, since I had ordered them anyway.

I have the M-suspension, based on the online VIN checking "build sheet".
The Sachs red label Advantage looked identical to the OE struts that were removed.
However, the part numbers did not appear to match. (But, the website did say "upgraded OE version")
Sachs-Boge OEM Strut Assembly; Front Left/Right; Advantage/Upgraded OE Version
For sedan models with M-Technic Sport suspension. 2 per car. Limited Lifetime Warranty. Limited Lifetime Warranty.

The part number labelled on my original OE Sachs strut was: 82 4904 557 210 (or 824904557210)
The part number on my aftermarket red label Sachs "Advantage" strut was: 82 4904 556 834 (or 824904556834)
RealOEM indicated my part number was: 31311096857, and this is what linked me to the red label Sachs above.

The clunking at low speeds is gone. The strut/end link combo definitely solved the issue.
I will update this thread if I have any problems with the $110 red label Sachs struts.

Last edited by EconoBox; 11-15-2012 at 08:42 PM.