View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Off topic (and more fun ):
Oh, that must have been rich. It would almost have been worth the airfare to have been invited to listen in at that table!

I usually manage to bite my tongue and simply use the correct pronunciation at every opportunity. But on the rare occasions when someone has challenged the distinction, even after being told they are mangling a person's name, I start mispronouncing their name until it sinks in. That's guaranteed fun.

(I suspect your in-laws would have thrown me out before dessert.)
The irony of it was we were on a train enroute from Koblenz to Frankfurt when the conversation happened. It's amazing how vehement people can be when they are totally in error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
In my experience, "hip" people, that is actual Porsche owners and enthusiasts, especially those that have other vehicles besides their Porsches and especially those have have other track cars besides their track Porsches, call their cars "P-cars", as in, "Which car am I going to take to the track this weekend? Oh, I'll probably take the P-car".

Those don't usually include 26-year olds.
Yes, it has been my experience that every person to a letter that I've ever known who has owned or currently owns a Porsche manages to properly pronounce the formal name.

Of course, a 26 year old aspiring to owning a Cayenne isn't exactly what I would classify as a purist, and certainly doesn't fit a "track centric" definintion of enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I'm new to it all, but I just call my Porsche a Porsche. Also, you keep expressing the ideal that one must track their performance cars in order to qualify as worthy car owners or car enthusiasts. I don't track my cars for liability reasons, but let me assure you that I enthusiastically enjoy owning and driving my cars.
I'm with you Beden. You do not have to track a car to be an enthusiast. I consider myself to be just as much an enthusiast as anyone else here because I have immersed myself in learning everything I can about the brand and about the car itself, and I have a long standing love/respect of the marque. I also love driving it especially when I can get it out on lightly traveled roads. Competition is not a prerequisite for being an enthusiast. It is absolutely no different than a claiming that photographer who chooses to not commercially sell their work or enter it in competitions is not a photographer.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793