View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome View Post

BJ - Thanks for the detailed input. You make a compelling case. I guess I do have to go test drive the 328. I was worried that coming from my current E90, it would feel underpowered but most are saying that's not the case and the upgrade to 335 isn't worth the cost.

Regarding xdrive, yes VA is the mildest of the winter states but it does snow here about 2-3x a year (including our snowpocalyspe in 2009/2010) and RWD is 100% useless in snowy or even very wet conditions. That's the only reason I was considering switching to xDrive. If I stayed with RWD, I'd have to buy/store a set of snow tires, right? And then switch them on/off 2x year? I've never had snow tires so not sure how that works.
The 335i is a great car, don't get me wrong. It's just a matter of perspective. My opinion, test driving a 328i versus the car you are currently driving will blow you away. When I was leaving my E90 for the new F30 I had apprehensions about the four-cylinder engine, was almost not even going to test drive it. I'm very glad I did. It's blazingly fast and makes the whole car feel lighter and more agile. If staying on budget is a concern to you, it's a no-brainer and don't forget the fuel economy will save you a lot of money in the long run too.

Regarding snow tires, understand that I spent 14 years in New Hampshire driving in conditions that would make Virginia look like a summer vacation. My RWD E93 handled fantastically in deep snow on snow tires for three of those years. To answer your question, you simply get a set of snow tires and store them in your garage. Then every December 1 you go to the tire shop to get them swapped. Repeat the process on April 1. Yes, it's a bit of a pain but the reality is it allows you really get to enjoy the benefits of your RWD car for the other nine months. Not to mention, it's the best way for you to get one of the new feature packages that you're saying you can't afford while remaining safe.

Do this: Start your process by taking a test drive of the 328i. Make sure the dealer shows you cars with the important option packages like Technology so that you understand why you want it. Do some research on the benefits of snow tires on RWD and why it is superior to all season tires on AWD.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®