View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshade40 View Post
Is my steering supposed to be tight, it's like kind of hard to to turn
"hard to turn" can mean anything.

If comparing to other manufacturers' steering, yes, the BMW is "stiffer". My E46 is much harder to turn at lower speeds than my Maxima but that is the price paid for good feedback at higher speeds and under aggressive driving conditions. THe Maxima "floats" at higher speeds and feels more responsive (EDIT: easier to turn the steering wheel) but it really lacks feedback making it feel "loose" at higher speeds and when driving aggressive. My BMW actually feels better at higher speeds and I never lose touch with what the car is doing.

Lots of manufactureres over-boost the steering assist to make their cars feel responsive. The trade off is lack of feedback/control when driving hard.

"It is little use listening to other people as they will either be agreeing with you or saying stupid stuff" - Dogbert

I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh!ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh!t makes you an idiot, not an optimist.

2004 325i - Sport package - 5MT- clears - CDV mod - M3 gauge faces w/silver gauge rings & red needles - SS exhaust tips - strut tower brace - Hotchkis anti-sway bars -50% tint - shadow grills - roof spoiler - silver CF trim