View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by microswitch View Post
I had exactly the same problem as you, an intermittent Battery Warning light.

I bet you my farm it has ALTERNATOR written all over. I just changed mine this Monday.

Do not worry about anything else. Take the alternator out ( 1 hour work) take it to a auto part have it tested ( guaranteed 99% faulty) and replace it. After the electrical system work as it should again, then check the other warning or codes you may have.
Before throwing the alt out, I would pull the brush/diode combo out and check it. This part if it's a Bosch alternator is around 40 bux. That's what I did on my car. The bearings were still good. if they start to fail, I will change tose out too. I have the replacements. Not difficult to do at all, and cheaper than a reman part. Reman parts can come with weak bearings, and a year later, the alt will fail and might take the belt with it as well.

TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby