Thread: M5 Impressions
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
My guess would be that your 535i is not equipped with Adaptive Drive. Cars that have the package feel smaller and more tossable in general. My 550i does have Adaptive Drive (Dynamic Damper Control + Active Roll Stabilization) and yet the M5 still felt more massive to me - I"m not sure why since they weigh about the same
My 535i is optioned with adaptive drive, ie both DDC and ARS

The M5 feels less massive than the 535i, both in the city and out.

For those keen on reviews, and still haven't test driven the M5 http://www.caradvice.com.au/199070/b...arison-review/

"The BMW M5 is certainly a great track car. It provides the biggest impression of stability both in a straight line and under heavy braking, and it also benefits from a set of Michelin rubber that gives the M5 both superior traction and front-end bite. That grip meant the 5 Series M car's throttle needed a determined press on the gas to generate the desired slip angle, while on three occasions with different testers the M5's electronics also had a panic attack while sideways. ...

It's true that many customers will have already sworn allegiance to either BMW or Mercedes and that will make any choice redundant. For neutral buyers it's a tougher call if you ignore the fact our E63 cost more than $42,000 more than the M5 with a raft of options including the Performance Package.

The AMG version of the E-Class has never been so closely matched to the hero of BMW's 5 Series range. And for those looking for a luxury sedan with more overt performance, the E63 is the pick.

And the BMW M5 isn't perfect, getting noticeably chubby around the mid-riff. It's ballistic rather than balletic, and BMW may need to consider aluminium construction for the next 5 Series.

But the M5 is coated in an extra layer of civility that allows you to enjoy it purely as a supremely comfortable and cosseting luxury car before peeling away that mask to expose its thrillingly epic ability.

The BMW M5 is more than good."

Last edited by bm323; 11-16-2012 at 04:14 PM.