View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Mine are also the stock 18" size.

Last winter we had almost no snow, and being retired, I don't have to go out if it is nasty. From my previous car, where I also had them, it went through nasty stuff quite well. The impact noises are less severe than the stock Goodyears. Over concrete, they're quieter than the stock, over more common asphalt, maybe slightly noisier, but I just drove 400+ miles on the interstate, and it was not an issue at all. The mileage may be down 5% or so, but I just put them on, and last winter, the thing was still breaking in, so things were a moving target.

If you're on the edge over any winter tires verses an all-season, watch some of the testing videos at TireRack. The edge they give is worthwhile for that extra safety cushion, to me at least.

Of those available in the stock size, the Michelins seemed to be rated as the quietest while only giving up a little in max deep snow performance. I think the PAII version, if they made it in RFT sizes for our car would be better in the mileage viewpoint.

Another that bares looking into is possibly the Nokian all-season. This tire is primarily a winter tire, but compounded to be okay in the warmer seasons.

When I wear these out, I'll reassess what's avaiable, until then, I'm happy with what I have.