View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
Quote:
I also have a set of Goodyear LS2 run-flat in my garage right now. I am debating whether I should put snow tires on. Mine is 550i RWD and I live in NE Ohio where we do have lake effect snow.

My Audi quattro came with LS2 as stock tires although they had been used for 4 winters but I never liked it. Later on I switched to winter tires and they felt much better.
Silververtu, I wouldn't dream of driving in NE Ohio with a RWD with all-seaons. I'm a bit further east along Lake Erie and I didn't want to trust the all-seasons. I travel to CCF often--I'd rather have snows, that have compounds that are rated for cold temps and tread for snow.

Stopping with snows is better than all-seasons.

Pros and cons, but it comes down to this (IMO)
-if you might actually need to get some place in an emergency
-you need traction given or Great Lakes climate
-benfits of handling in snow and ice.

When the temps dropped into the lower 40's the GY's were not confidence building. Add in rain it made my mind up for me....dedicated snows.

Just my .02. I know the east coast guys can get hit by nor'easters and some other winter weather. In our area, we can get 2ft. snowstorm out of the blue. For me, snows are the way to go. The 550 is a powerful car with a lot of torque. Plus I wanted to be able to move around idiots with bald tires.