View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne's World View Post
Absolutely right. There is no substitute for winter tires no matter what you have. Blizzaks are passable. Get something real like Nokian Hakkapellitta and don't look back. The i would be a fine choice. Xi is about getting going. Its the tires that will get you stopped in a hurry.
Again people are focusing solely on snowy / icy conditions. There are a considerable number of days during the winter where the roads are clear and the weather warm (this latter part maybe not so much in the certain areas).

Back in post #57 I provided Denver area temperatures for this month and last month. The majority of those days saw absolutely no snow and very nice temperatures. The average high for October was 67, the average low 35. For November the average high is currently at 54, and the average low at 26. These temperatures all come despite three days where the low dropped into the teens and three days of light snow. Given snow tires become less effective in dry/warm conditions I would say anyone having snow tires installed has been less safe the past two months. All so they could be more safe for the three days it's snowed.

That's not to say snow tires are bad. Just saying the blanket statements about needing them to be safe are not always accurate.

Last edited by sunny5280; 11-17-2012 at 07:00 AM.