Thread: X3 or X5?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
I believe the automatic anti roll is standard part of the stability control system . This feature prevents suv from rolling over. I remember watching a youtube video on bmw roll over testing. They had a hard time to roll their suv over and had to make much sharper ramp. Note, this is standard pretty much on all suvs.

German car is not known for their safety. I personally think Volvo has a lot more accident prevention technology. The car even will break for you under low speed conditions on detection of pedestrian or am object in front. The handling of a German car is really shine under high speed cornering and turn. If you drive reasonable posted road speed, even a standard suv will be very safe.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App
Yea...ARC and dynamic suspension are not gonna rewrite the laws of physics and prevent a roll-over. However ARC and dynamic suspension allow you to approach the limit much more composed than say a mechanical, non-adaptive setup. You can watch the videos, from BMW explained what the Active Roll Stabilization system (X5 is used in the videos i believe on youtube) and Dynamic Dampers (pretty much imagine a suspension given coil-over levels of adjustability all through a simple driver controlled switch).

The video of the BMW unable to rolled, was the X6. This was due in part to the x6 having a very low center of gravity and hence, they had to induce it by, purposely trying to crash the vehicle (they have a wireless steering controller and a bigger ramp). I could go one more, but thats just too much.

All in all the dynamic suspension isnt a must for most people, as you could purchase other daily driver options (HUD, better seats, better anything that makes your X easier to live with). However if you like taking your X3 on windy roads, or take the highway on-ramp at more than civic like speeds, dynamic is a must.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!