View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Found the problem! I took a brain break then re-traced my steps - starting with the battery voltage. I originally checked it at night(in the dark) so I had trouble getting good contact giving me an incorrect reading. A daylight reading with proper contact read 12.29 volts. Which meant the battery and alternator were fine. I did a bit more forum reading and noticed that several of the similar issues were caused by vacuum leaks. I didn't remember touching anything vacuum related except for the intake airbox. I then remembered that smaller box that was connected to the airbox by two screws. This box was attached to the underside of the intake plenum. I guess I hastily(and incorrectly) reattached that little box because it somehow dropped off of the bottom of the plenum. It took me a minute or two to properly reattach the box. I was then able to start the car and listen gleefully as it continued to run smoothly with no roughness or sputtering. All I have to do now is get a scan tool to clear that code!

Quote:
Personally I would not drive my car without an air filter.
- good point bkgreene39!

540iman - It was the oil pan plug that was snapped - AND THEN put back in place by some fool!

Thank you guys for the input.