View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
I agree with Peter C4--unless there were extenuating circumstances, I'd probably stick with stock with an AWD car.

What's interesting or rather distrubing is I've had a lot of people ask me about snows--whether they'd get one or not. It really ques some basic questions. Do you expect to have freezing temps, do you expect tke need for snow tires.

IMO all seaons = no seasons. They are the ultimate comprimise. Not all of us have concentrated population masses such as the NE. For that matter, if you think you might absolutley need to get to some place, get he snows. Come on, if you can afford a car that's in the 70-80k range, you can afford the snow tires. If not, get a Ford Truck (which makes sense if you live in some bad weather areas). I expect to travel in lake-effect snow areas at home, and for areas that I will travel in. So I put snows on. If the weather is bad, and I must be at a place for business or for medical care I'll go to my destination ahead of time. East coast low pressure systems aren't typically what spawns my weather, so I cannot depend on that. Each person really needs to look at their own weather patterns. What happens in NJ does not mean what you'll get in Omaha, Ohio. or PA.

I don't have a probem with people saying all-seaons should be ok. That's their decision. I've gotten snow tires for my cars for almost 20 years. Even my SUV's I've gotten snow tires for. I costs a lot of money, but it all pays back if something bad erupts. I can see both sides of it, but I have to bet on the safe side. I know I'll be traveling in heavy snow areas (my local is a heavy snow area) so I went with OE BMW recommended tires and wheels. They are also covered as a BMW part number under my tire & wheel insurance.

All I wish is for our members to get to their destinations safely. I live in an area that has very unpredictable weather events. That's all I can go by. Best wishes!