View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLE39 View Post
... Been driving a lot on the hwy for work and am at 101k+ and the oil meter is only showing 1 green bar used up. I thought by now more bars would of been used. This normal? ... I thought the meter was setup for an approx 15k interval and then adjusted based on telemetry of use. When I hit 104 -105k I'm doing a oil change if the meter says to or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLE39 View Post
^ I'm not impressed with the BMW oil monitoring system. ....
This reply is in no way an attempt to get you to change your mind about the effectiveness or worth of the Service Interval Display...or BMW's forumula for its calculation.

But, from what you wrote above...your conception has a faulty foundation based on an inaccurate premise that mileage is a key factor...which throws off your entire perception of the Service Interval Display.

Let me state for the record...the frequency of oil changes & what type of oil to use is totally a personal decision for how one wants to maintain their vehicle...so again, my comments are by no means a way to bring you into BMW's "fold"...to follow their recommendation to the "T". I'm just posting FYI data as to how the SIA III system was designed to work so that incorrect information isn't promoted further.

First, it is not an "oil monitoring" system...second, it is not set-up for a precise time/mileage base. SIA III (which your car has) uses fuel consumption to determine the progression of the SI lights. You can read the info below as to why BMW went away from the SI calculation of time/distance/engine load...to a single & simple fuel consumption calculation.

Your percentage of mostly highway driving is indicative of SIA III calculation. Your gas consumption is going to be less...which also means that stress on your engine and engine load etc. is less..thus the green LEDs are not counting off as fast as you thought they would under the assumption that the oil is being monitored and/or that there's a 15K mileage calculation involved (again, neither of those variables are accurate).

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 11-18-2012 at 04:46 AM.