Thread: S54 Swap
View Single Post
  #120  
Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 AM
JayMac JayMac is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virignia
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 805
Mein Auto: what ever starts
So not much to do today due to the wrong socket use so I fixed the x brace issue with the rivnuts I got in from Pegasus. If you are not familiar with these they are great and I have never used them before so I would say easy enough for any diy'er. They allow you to use a bolt into a blind tube, frame rail, etc. The bolts holding my "X" were 5/16 x 24 so I ordered the appropriate rivnut. You drill out a hole for the corresponding size, 1/2 inch for these and push them in the hole.

Rivnuts:



Rivnut with compressing tool. You can make your own but this was $11 so rather than me messing around I just ordered it. Basically you have a bolt for the proper thread size and a slightly larger nut, a knurled bottom would help but not necessary.



Slide the rivnut in and start wrenching. You feel it break right away and then you are compressing the nut to you forming a sleeve inside your rail. The larger wrench is preventing the nut from turning inside the rail so it bites and you have a solid fitting to bolt to. You get the hang of it real quickly and on the final adjustments you can do it one handed in a scissors method but be careful to turn the bolt and not the nut.




Holes drilled and rivnuts inserted took less than 1 hour.



I trashed one so you can see what is going on inside the rail. The threaded portion is the bottom and you are pulling towards you creating the mushroom.










Cost was drill bit, $11, tool, $12 dozen rivnuts, $15. Keep in mind I paid @ $80 an hour for someone to do this wrong. Easy item to work with.
Reply With Quote