View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPDJ View Post
Understand BMW offers extended warranty. Dealer quoted me $5800 for 7 year/100k miles platinum. Route66 is only $1800 for 5 years/100k miles starting from the date of purchasing warranty.

Is your car equipped dynamic handling package? I think it's more important than active steering. I don't really need active steering but love to have dynamic handling package for occasion hwy1 driving.
I have neither package on my vehicle. It goes where I ask it at the speeds I ask it...I might like the enhancements, but was unwilling to spend the money to first buy it, or the additional maintenance to keep it running (no idea if that would really be a factor).

I thought the factory extension, if bought before the original warranty expired, only listed for about $2500 or so. I may be totally off on that, but it's easy to check on the BMWUSA.com website. It may depend on where you live. Then, you have to consider what it covers...the aftermarket one probably does not cover rotors or brake pads, wiper blades, oil changes, etc., which the BMW one does. It's an insurance policy...you decide your level of risk. But, when you include the routine maintenance that the BMW one (as I understand it) contains, the difference may not be as great as it appears. I have a few years to decide whether I want to go one of those routes...interesting to see the coverage and copay amounts, if applicable for each.