View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Tom,
You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on a matter of semantics on this one. You see levels of enthusiasts. I see categories. The difference is levels (to me) are heirarchical, while categories are lateral.

Ah, but it is, just on a different level. If you hang out any where there is turf defending among photographers there is a great war that if you don't enter your photos in competetions or you don't sell your product then you are not a "Photographer". If Ansel Adams had never published one of his photographs, would that make him any less a great photographer or enthusiast of the art? No.

Enthusiast as defined by Webster is "one who tends to give himself completely to whatever engages his interest."

By that definition the person who gives themselves completely to maintaining their BMW (e.g. ILMC) is just as much as enthusiast as Mrated//e90 (the track fiend) as is BJ, the flag bearer for Status as demonstrated by New, as is Teh Jev, the icon of the OT subforum; may he rest in peace.

To the original intent of this thread, people were asked if they were enthusiastic about the new model change. Yes, no, or indifferent - we are still equal enthusiasts no matter what drives our inspiration/interest.
Race car drivers = Photographers.
Auto journalists = Journalists who take photos.
Auto enthusiasts = Photography enthusiasts.
Motorist/drivers = Compact digital camera carriers.
BJ = Professional grade camera carriers who don't necessarily take photos.

Last edited by dtc100; 11-18-2012 at 06:19 PM.