View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

I've been running H&R springs for the past 6 years on my E39 Touring and for 4 years on my E34 prior to that and I've been extremely happy in both cases. I've been told that on oem standard shocks (non sport) the max to lower is around 30mm as any lower means shortened (sport) shocks would be required. As you already have the Sport shocks, you can go a bit lower to perhaps 40-50mm. To answer your questions

1. There will be an increased harsher ride of perhaps 10-15% - there's nothing really you can do to counter that. Other cheaper springs would possibly be 20-30% or more harshness which perhaps would be the negative difference many owners wouldn't want.
2. Handling is much improved! lower centre of gravity and higher quality springs and their characteristics mean you'll most likely really love the car's increased cornering capabilities and overall ride quality and compliance.

3. How often do you drive at 130+ mph? aside from that, the car's drive, handling, ride and feel will be all improved at 0-whichever speed you wish to drive

4. Lower re-sale value ? - the purists will say yes. In the real world, it's extremely marginal as there's no hard and fast set rule as to how much a car is worth when you talk actual 'selling prices' as opposed to asking prices.

5. Consider which wheels you wish to run compared to the amount of lowering you want. Looks like you have 17 inch Style 66's in your picture. Going too low on 17's makes the wheels look tiny, so I'd say go to 18's but preferably 19's.

Lastly, everyone is different and will put up why to or not to lower etc etc, but it's down to you. This forum is particularly 'oem' biased and those of us who run more modified examples do provide real world experience which often pushes the misconceptions to the side. My E39 is a daily driver, and I've often carried my dog in it, and also family and friends who have not got one clue that it's lowered and having ever mentioned it's a bad ride. In short, the better quality or higher end of products you go the better ride and quality you'll get.

Cheers, Dennis!