View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Why cut corners- here is the real scoop-

I have been on various Bimmer boards for over 12 years and learned long ago not to use anything buy BMW recommended fluids. For a few more dollars why risk unnecessary issues. Here is the scoop on why- credit to Bimmer Magazine and Mike Miller ---

"BMWs are incredibly sensitive to operating fluids, including coolant. I've always felt this is due to the metallurgy used in the engine construction, but there is no way to know for sure. On neglected cars, aluminum oxidation builds up in various places within the engine, including on older models, between coolant hoses and aluminum fittings. That is the most obvious manifestation of aluminum oxidation. It causes the worst problems inside the sometimes tiny coolant passages of the cylinder head, where it can act like hardening of the arteries, restricing or even cutting off the supply of coolant to various parts of the cylinder head. This sometimes presents itself as phantom overheating with no known cause, though more often than not the cylinder head gasket blows before that.

I learned long ago that using phosphate free Original BMW anit freeze mixed 50-50 with distilled water and changing it every 2 years, of even four years on hotter running OBD-II modles essentially eliminates aluminum oxidation. The cars I mantain don't blow head gaskets or have cronic overheating problems. ......................."