View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORLAP View Post
Unless you enjoy a museum of anything on every corner, like museum of chocolate and stuck up, stiff, cold, unhappy people then skip Austria, especially Vienna. Go south where warmer climates make for warmer people, northern Italy - Trieste and then head to Budapest. Roads in "old soviet block" are not as good as in Germany, but way BETTER than anything in US.

Go south and east. I would only avoid Serbia and Bosnia, these two are still war ravaged. Seriously, Budapest is absolutely amazing and so far mostly only Europeans know that. I would also hit Prague, then Poland and Berlin...
Wow. Let me give some contradictory advice...I've Euro Delivered 5 BMW's and travel to Europe 4-5 times a year for both business and pleasure. If you want culture, scenery, old architecture, and better food, most cities in Austria outperform the Czech Republic and Germany by a wide margin. Prague is beautiful but doable in two days because it is lacking in culture...while architecturally beautiful the food is generally substandard and you are constantly asking yourself what happened that this population built such a beautiful city and yet feels so unsophisticated. Berlin is also a two day deal. Most major cities in Germany were leveled in WWII. Only the industrial rail yards and outer-lying areas of Vienna were successfully bombed in WWII. Vienna is the culinary center of the German speaking people. Salzburg is beautiful, can feel touristy but the surrounding towns are amazing. Hit Hangar-7 near the Salzburg airport if you want to see Red Bull's tribute to speed and food. Slovenia broke off from the rest of Yugoslavia because they have all the wealth...don't be discouraged from checking it out. If you want visit a cool place in Bavaria, check out Landshut, it is an hour from Munich and to me the quintessential Bavarian town.