View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328i
2 days ago, I took my car to a mechanic.Before going to the mechanic, reverse gear were not working.The mechanic sat on the driver seat for a test drive and reverse gear started to work.It was really interesting.
He drove the car at very high speeds and tried to test the transmission.The car did not do the respond problem I explained before.Mechanic said that the car is shifting at high gears very smoothly but at low gears shifting makes noise.
After the test drive, mechanic told me that the problem was in the transmission,not at torque converter or any other thing.He said that the transmission was failing.He recommended me to change /rebuilt the transmission and quoted $3000-$3300 price for the transmission.It was too much for me because I am a graduate student.He made this decision without checking the other parts of the car.Do you think this is normal?Can a mechanic make a such decision without checking the other parts of the car?

After that,yesterday while I was driving,the car didn't respond again when I stepped on the gas pedal.I remember that I stepped into the gas pedal hardly and a couple of seconds later I realized the burning smell.Besides these, yesterday reverse gear was not working for a time and after that it started to work.
I searched these symptoms on google and found that transmission fluid should be checked.

I am really looking for your advices,recommendations.

Thank you.