View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Nice work! How long did it take you in total?

I got in the car on Sunday morning, got the 'Low Coolant Level' warning on the dash, checked the reservoir and it was dry!

Ive never had to top off the coolant in the 20 months ive owned it, (although I did replace the thermostat and refill the coolant 8 months ago). I checked the coolant literally 5 days ago because I could smell coolant when walking past the front of the car after driving and parking up. Level looked fine just between the MIN and MAX level.

I managed to have a look at the weep hole and it looks dry, with no sign of previous leakage (water marks etc...).

I cant see any leakage anywhere else, the under tray is dry.

Either I have a slow leak somewhere so its evaporating before it drips or perhaps the head gasket is leaking?

It took around a pint and a half to bring it back up to the MIN mark.

How much water were you losing? could it be evaporating in the void behind the weep hole and i wont see it overflowing until it gets worse?

Im stripping the engine to the block after xmas and have already bought the OEM pipe just in case! I will have the timing chain covers off anyway so will change it as a matter of course.

Stuart