View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to DBU
Mein Auto: A rare Mystic Blue 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcwardog View Post
My 2007 550i had the code 676 Hi-Fi speakers. BMW seems to actually make at least 4 levels of audio:

Base (not on cars for exprt to US, but you will read posts from folks in Europe who have it),
Hi-Fi (yours - which is the "base" system for US-export cars),
Logic7 (code 677, HiFi system Professional DSP - adds more speakers to include a center-channel on the dash top, larger under-seat subs (8" instead of your 6") and a DSP amp, and
Individual Audio in top-end cars, a $700 option (code 752 I think...) that may also be referred to as a DIRAC - adds an even better DSP amp and speakers - seen on M3, M5 and M6. Check out Bavarian Soundwerks for some good info on the speakers as well.

For your direct comparison, be sure it is exactly that: check your bass and treble - set both to flat in both cars, then listen. Now crank up the bass level in each car and see what happens. Because of cabin dimensions, etc. it may take different settings to achieve the sound you want to hear. If you still hear no bass in the sedan, then troubleshoot for inop underseat sub-speakers, a bad amp (in left-rear of trunk behind access panels...), cut wire, etc...
Thank you for responding.

I am "mechanicaly handy" but not so much when it comes to sound systems. Three questions:
1) Could I add this DSP amp in the trunk and get some real benefit out of that?
2) How would I go about trouble shooting for inop woofers besides simply sticking my ear next to the under-seat woofers? Should I be able to measure a current across the wire terminals?
3) Would I be able to verify proper amp operation by swapping the amps between the cars or is it not that simple?

Appreciate your time.
Munich Pick Up: 6/22/06 -- Dingolfing: 6/23/06 -- Drop Off: 7/12/06 -- Aboard M/V "Green Point" with ETA Port Hueneme 8/16/06 - Redelivery: 9/1/06 - De-badged 1/1/07

Hers: 2007 X3 3.0Si