View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccieurzo View Post
An email came from Tischer BMW (GetBMWParts.com) today saying that they are now offering CIC map updates on a USB stick along with FSC codes for $235. No affiliation of course. I wonder if dealers will drop the extortionate charges for updates now that they have some competition.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...cat4=&subcat5=
I got the same email and ordered last night, after exchanging a couple of emails with one of the guys at Tischer.

Sounds like it should be roughly the same process you could do previously, if you could get ahold of the "shop only" DVDs and an FSC code. The USB stick should plug into the USB port in the glovebox and then one doesn't have to feed 3 DVDs through the player. Should make it even simpler!

FYI, I did get a copy of the DVDs last year and an FSC code via someone that emerged in the forum as someone who could do so. I did get it all done for about half the cost of $235 + shipping. I think it was around $120, when all was said and done.

It was trivially easy to do. You just followed the directions in the iDrive system. Everytime I complete one of the BMW surveys when I have service done and answer the question: What would you like to pass on to BMW Engineering? (or some question like that...), I tell them they should offer a DIY map update for $50. They've already got the DIY part nailed, they just need to quit using map updates as a reason for them and the BMW Service orgs. to make a killing on it. (They have plenty of opportunities to make a killing already!)