View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19us View Post
Just for giggles, called my dealer and one closer to ask about this. My dealer parts didn't know the 2013 maps were out, and insisted the only way to get the update was through programming upload via service. Service department insisted only way to do updates was via DVD bought through parts. When I told them they were giving mixed messages, they suggested I visit bmw.com and find some random software update site.....clearly don't know what they're doing. I fear for those trying to get upgrades there.

I called local dealer #2, they sell the same package for same price as offered at Tischer - they'll give USB for same price to do the upgrade yourself, or have you bring vehicle in and they'll do the programming upgrade for same $235.. Given they're close, I ordered and will just pick up the USB stick and let it run while I drive home.....
Good to know!

I was making the assumption that BMW hadn't lostened their grip at all on the Nav updates, but if you can buy via your local dealer, they likely have...

It caused me to do a little more research on "leads" that I'd chased last year, but all seemed to have dried up because BMW wasn't yet ready in the US.

And...

You can now go to http://navigation.teleatlas.com/bmwusa and walk yourself through the process to order a USB stick and presumably, an FSC code, to do it yourself. Price seems to be the MSRP price of $245, so Tischer saves you a bit and then local BMW dealers might vary the prices a bit.

Most likely, this hasn't leaked out to all of the dealers very well as yet. I know my local dealer has a parts guy that has stayed up on this in the past. He was expecting something like this to have happened last year, but it didn't, so I went a different route. Looks like BMWNA moved it ahead a bit finally.

Like many in the forum, Tischer has been a good source in the past, but I was so excited yesterday that a decent offering has emerged that I didn't check locally. Wish I would have now, as with my usual discount at my local dealer (BMWCCA membership discount), I could have saved a few more dollars by ordering locally.

It's still about the price of a really good, new TomTom, but I don't like the look of the clutter of the separate systems.