View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
Best practice is niether over nor undermaintaining. Condition based maintainence is what I practice, on 8 cars, 5 motorcycles, 3 watercraft and 2 airplanes. Condition based maintainence is what the military, airlines, industry and anyone else to who reliability matters practices. Just changing parts and fliuds on some random or accelerated schedule is NOT good practice. But what do i know, right? Just some random guy on the internet...
Excellent points and a great topic actually!

My question for you though is what is your definition of Condition Based Maintenance?

Based on your garage.... 2 of your 3 BMWs do not have CBS (e46 zhp and e83). What are your conditions you monitor for maintenance? Are you sending stuff to labs? Basing it off known wear levels? Testing for boiling points?

With my e83, I follow the following:

Oil change half mile count down (approx 7,500 miles). Oil sample currently at black stone to confirm milage duration.

Outside of that how do you know what fluids to change without inspecting?

Factory says differential and transfer case is lifetime. We know that isn't true. I change mine at 25k as a best practice.

Factory says change transmission fluid at 100k. Yikes that's a long time...I'll give you that one though...I am guessing on best practice. I change mine at 25k like clock work...experience here only...I did get 300k miles with no issues on a gm 4l60e previously using this method....

Everything else is just basic routine in my opinion (air filter, cabin filter, top up washer fluid, brake fluid every 2 years, etc).