View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
The original idea of fog lights delete on is was to allow unrestricted air flow for better cooling of additional oil cooler, and now you are trying to reverse it.

EDIT: don't really know why the convertible 335is has the fogs though...
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
This is partially correct. BMW deleted the fog lights to allow unrestricted air flow for better cooling and added an additional water cooler on the 335is (all 335i models with the Sport Package or the M Sport Package have an oil cooler but not the additional water cooler) but this was because US tracks are shorter and in warmer climates (Willow Springs, Streets of Willow, Buttonwillow, and Chuckwalla are all in the California desert) than those found in Europe and needed the additional airflow and cooling to keep the car from going into "limp mode" when run on short tracks and in hotter climates. Yes, BMW actually designed the 335is Coupe with better cooling specifically to be able to run on US tracks. The enhancements to the 335is over a 335i were designed by BMW NA and it is a North America only car, not available in Europe (the exhaust is too loud!).

Additionally, BMW determined that 335is Coupe owners would be more likely to track their car than 335is Convertible owners and so they deleted the fog lights on the Coupe and not on the Convertible.

OP: If you don't track the 335is you probably don't need the additional cooling, but as CALWATERBOY says, why bother? Fog lights won't make your 335is "kewler" than it already it, especially if you drive with your fog lights on all the time even when there isn't any fog. And as vst335is says, why ruin the special look of the 335is?
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 11-20-2012 at 06:23 PM.