Thread: Budget Stroker
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi Bluedevil,

*Tongue in Cheek* - If you have been a mechanic for 13 years, and make an error between typing up BHP and RWHP - I wonder if I left my car with you for an oil change you'd drop in an Supercharged S62 inadvertently ?!

*proper response* - As per above, you are looking to increase the oem 286 BHP to wanting around 425-450 BHP at the CRANK - which is still a 200 BHP increase over standard. As you've still not mentioned what you consider a 'budget' conversion would likely be in costs, it's hard to be more accurate. However, as Alpina themselves only took this engine to 375 BHP in their V8S models, I still say research more into exactly what they did and then research into how to then reliably get 100 BHP more and keeping it naturally aspirated. I still say the actual cost will be more than double or perhaps triple of what a tried and tested supercharger conversion would cost - but, I may be wrong! As you are a mechanic, you will save on 'labour' charges as you'll probably do the work yourself. To a customer like me, who doesn't know what a spanner is, I wonder what the cost would be to get 425-450 BHP from the 4.4 litre engine normally aspirated!

Cheers, Dennis!