Thread: Frozen Grey
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm0824 View Post
Think there's conflicting info about the "frozen" (matted) paint. If it helps... Returned from european delivery on Saturday. Took the tour of the 3-series factory in Munich. After the paint shop, they took us into a room to show hoods in the various stages of painting, including the last (clear coat).

I asked our guide this VERY question. Right or wrong, his answer was as follows:

My Question: When you see the frozen/matted paint jobs on some cars, does that mean they skip the clear coat stage, and is less protected.

His Answer: No. There is a clear coat on those cars as well, but is is different than the normal one. It does not have silica which produces the shine (i think this was the compound he mentioned), but otherwise a clear coat is applied.

Not sure who is right tho about the process/protection here.

btw: I saw quite a bit of these on the road throughout Germany.
It may have a clear coat element, however, it is nowhere near the level of protection that the non-matte car has. The clear coat of the non-matte cars is applied dry then baked on in a kiln, which is not the process for the matte car. I had a private tour at Digolfing, we discussed this at length. The clear coat on a non matte BMW can be measured in kg...while I prefer the matte color, I don't have the band width to immediately remove bird droppings or tree sap or road tar. If it were not so fragile, Id spring for it.