Thread: e34 lost power
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalie View Post
engine coolant temp sensor??? is this the same as the thermostat. Cause I drove the car today and noticed that the temp gauge went from normal warm to cold. So is it possible that the choke is continually on causing the loss of power in normal driving. And also could a spike of a faulty thermostat cause the car to stall as it did in the beginning of this mess.
Thanks for the help,
Joe
No the engine coolant temperature sensor is not the same as the sensor that connects to the temp gauge in your dashboard. Another sensor is dedicated for this task. Both of these sensors are fixed into the cylinder head. I believe the ect is the one closest to the front of the car. In any case, if you disconnect the wrong one, your dash gauge will not work so that's how you'll know.

What you have indicated above might be a buggy thermostat. That itself could lead to big problems if it gets buggy the wrong way.

There is no choke in our cars.

Disconnect the ect and see if your car's behaviour changes. Its a 5 minute job. Bad ects are not always deactivated by the ecu, and can thus lead to strange engine symptoms. It is not likely at all, but since its so easy to test it why not ?

rgds,
Roberto

p.s. Please follow the steps I outlined in my first response to you as well.