View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatT View Post
Check out execuhitch.com I have ordered a x1 (currently on the Turandot making its way here!) and plan to have the hitch installed to carry bikes as well as tow a very small, light camper. I bought the car so I'm not worried about lease issues, but I believe that the bumper is not modified.
Original Post
I can post the installation instructions up if you'd like. You have to dremel out approximately 40% of the under fascia [See Edit Below for Clarification]. It also replaces the aluminum crush bumper with a steel post. If you are ever hit from the back with it you'll probably end up with frame damage.

Edit
I received a call from ExecuHitch today. The caller, an employee at ExecuHitch, stated he was calling to clear up any misconceptions any of us might have had about the ExecuHitch for the X1. He went on to explain that someone posted misinformation on a message board and that they are in the process of having mods remove the misinformation. He explained that the under fascia trimming is actually minimal and that their instructions might be misleading. He promised that there would be a revision of these instructions to try to clear up any issues. The under fascia apparently has most of the trimmed area already missing from the factory. He also touched on the aluminum crush bumper vs the steel post replacing it. He stressed that ExecuHitch was designed very carefully and used the stock mounting points of the original bumper. He explained that these same points are what the factory uses to hold the chassis up during assembly and that there should be no issue during a crash.

In my defense, I do not have my car yet (I pick it up in Munich via Euro Delivery on the 28th!) so I had no way of knowing how much trimming to expect other than what I saw in ExecuHitch's instructions. I have to admit that I am still worried about replacing an aluminum crash bumper (meant to crush and absorb impact) with a steel post, but I wanted to give ExecuHitch a fair chance and not sound as though I am just bashing them, so I made this edit. I hope this clears up any misconceptions that might be caused through my initial post.

Last edited by conceyted; 11-26-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Clearing up any misconceptions.