View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
I saw the ATS at the SF car show this weekend. It looks better in person, and when comparing it to the F30, I almost prefer the look better than the BMW. I'm happy that GM has made huge improvements in styling, bot ext and int, to have it be in the same league as German cars. BJ is right though, the brand attracts an older crowd and all I saw we're a bunch of old men with white hair checking out the car. I had to run away over to the BMW / Audi camp to feel my age again.
Very true, it was a very sobering experience. On the other hand, from reading the ATS forums, those traditional older Caddy drivers don't buy ATS. The actual ATS buyers, over 70% of them are first time Caddy drivers. I frequently read those who moved from BMW and Mazda, to ATS. Yes, BMW and Mazda are the two biggest converts.

That says a lot. Mazda to the mainstream segment, is the 3 to the entry level luxury segment, for a fun driving experience. The natural upgrade path of the Mazda drivers is the 3 series. Now you have the ATS as a viable alternative.

Again from a business stand point, BMW is right, which drivers are the biggest target from the mainstream segment do you want to attract? Camry/Honda drivers, or Mazda drivers? Of course Lexus, MB and Audi are also after that target.