View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PZimniewicz View Post
All,

Thank you so much for the replies. So, I yanked of gear knob and was also able to get in hole by cigarette lighter. It took awhile and some patience, but I removed a good amoun of change. As I went through the process, I found a dime that looked like it had better days, a bit chewed up and bent. I got all of the change out and closed up. Started the far, and viola, message gone. Lucky,maybe, but who knows what that wedged in dime was doing.

Seems like all good now. I will update if it returns. Leaves me with a follow up. My car had 101,820 on it. I would like to get another 40000 put of it if I could. It sounds like from what I have read that a tranny fluid change is now recommended by many. I currently experience no transmission issues at all. Is the generally accepted practice now to do this regardless? Am I to late to the game or better to ride it out already at 100k?

Your opinions are most valued. Not sure if I would try to tackle this myself or work with my Indy to try and arrange a fair price.

Again, I very much appreciate the previous replies to my post. I wouldn't have had the nerve to rip up the shifter if I did not feel comfortable. I can't believe it worked.

Paul
I am surprised that coins were apparently enough to short the solenoid or block the action of the pin but that was a cheap fix and good news!

It is never too late to renew fluids. If you are game, take a crack at it yourself. It is not brain surgery.

You will need a couple of basic tools and a torque wrench. If you are going to do the pan buy some extra bolts ahead of time as the torque heads are easily striped.
You will need four jack stands or two jack stands and two ramps as the car must be level during the fill process.

Nealy all of the tools can be had very cheaply at Harbor Freight Tool and are good enough for occasional use. Watch for ads in the back of major car magazines for HFT ads with coupons for generous discounts.

There are some excellent DIY procedures for the E60 transmission fluid change on this forum. And because two drain and fills are required with a week or two to mix the fluid in between, having it done by an Indy means two separate visits to the shop and gets costly.

Besides, once you have the tools you will want to do your rear differential fluid also and you will have everything you need.