View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 01 540
power steering update

I had mine go out in the parking lot. threw the belt first. got the belt back on w/o removing any parts started up and worked for 1 min and then threw the belt completely off!. Then I notice pump just completely broke and was way out of alignment. I pulled it to a local mechanic and I got the bad news that there are VERY few OEM of these available and they are up to $800. He recommended considering an after market which in this case might make perfect sense. I bought a used one for $35 and it performs much better than my original did. I also found a spare one online!

It looks to me like paying attention to the back threaded adjuster because my guess is it was loose causing the break as mine was bent badly. I also filed all the flashing before having it installed hoping it might help on my used unit.

Nice pictures and weld btw but on a side not I would check the back side of the alignment for flatness because I believe that is the surface that touches block and front side would not matter???