View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550 i
I checked with my Dinan rep:
Quote:
When DINAN or a DINAN authorized dealer performs a core exchange, the customer gives the stock differential back to DINAN in exchange for a more expensive one. The customer does have the option of keeping the differential if he/she needs it for some reason but they will not get the credit for that piece. The difference between the stock differential and a DINAN modified one can be in the ratio, the type of mechanics in the differential or both. In the case of a F10 550i the ratio of the new and stock differential is the same (2.81) but the mechanics are different. DINAN uses core returned shells to manufacture differentials with viscus clutch and Torsen mechanics inside. This results in much better traction compared to BMWs open differential that comes in the car. I have driven both differentials on the F10 550i and have noticed a huge difference. Before the differential was installed I could spin the tires just by throttle modulation at low speeds and now the car has much better holding power resulting in improved 0-60, 1/4 mile ect... The bottom line is doing a core return is not hard and is usually handled by your installer, they will be responsible for ordering the new differential, installing it and sending back the old one.
I also checked with the DINAN technician who installed the LSD. There was no welding involved, they take your actual differential and put a limited slip in it.

I hope this helps.