View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
OK.

So let me get this straight.

Non F30 owners come in here and wax on about the E46 ZHP(have not driven it, cannot confirm Kool-aid worthy ness) and **** all over the driving dynamics of the F30(some of them without driving one).

Now I see reply after reply going on about the greatness of the E93 335is.

I am going to **** on your car now, cuz this must be fun for me too!

The E93 weights as much as a tank, it approaches 2 tons. The folding hardtop is pandering to non enthusiasts who sweat it on cars like SL's and SLK's. It did not make it a better car, just heavier and more complicated.

Stop touting it as some kind of drivers car.

My OLD E36/7 has tons of feel, feedback, sound, and has no driving aids other than ABS if you want to call it that. It's still heavy at 2950-3050lbs. But it's pure and nothing E9x without a roof can touch it. I am not even factoring in straight line as my 13lbs of boost has really skewed the equation. Looks, the E93 also gets slayed. I see them all day driven by women. My M Roadster was not even offered with an automatic and the lines, oh how well they have aged. I have had people ask me if it's "The new Z" semi-regularly.

So now I am going to go into every E93 thread I can find on every forum and **** on their cars compared to my OLD out of date car. This also applies to the newer Z4, I am going to go rag on their **** too.

I am going to feel so much better about myself now!

I am sure it will be much appreciated.
I wouldn't **** on any other forums as its a waste of time unless you have something constructive worth adding to the threads. It's like a whining kid without actually telling people why they are whining and what they want.

As an E46 ZHP owner that will go with an ED F30 probably by the 3rd year of it's existence in 2014, we just wanted to get back the whole package feel of what BMW used to make and perfected with specific lines of their cars. Now if they released an E46 M3 sedan with the steering rack of the ZHP or later model E46's then that would be a great benchmark. Yes, I will keep my ZHP and add the F30.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the E36/7 but it also had it's shortcomings when it came to refinement. There were lots of rattles and misc parts that would brake over time in the interior/exterior. The E36/7 removed the LSD unless it was an M line, but it did add the DSC/ABS management that sync'd with each other, enhancing the driving dynamics. So you can't say it was a pure sports car. If you want something like that you would have to go as far back as the E21 or an AW11 MR2 like my car (no power steering, brakes, abs, lsd, suspension nannies and it's MR).

I think the most important point that the MT reviewer missed is how versatile the F30 is for the modern times. Compared to the ATS and Merc, none of them can switch to the modes- eco, sport, comfort, sport+ like a swiss army knife. Yes, it's rubbery, but that can be fixed with the BMW M Performance suspension parts.