View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes, BMW
Smile 2002 525i Sport - questions

Hello -

My search continues for a nice 02'/03 5 series. I passed on two for various reasons and have learned a lot reading the threads her.

I've found a nice private sale 02 525i Sport package. Just hit 100K Good maintenance records. In the last 15 months they have: replace the oil gasket housing, coolant system including radiator/water pump, coolant flush, new tires, brakes ( new rotors up front) sensors, oil change and other maintenance items. I taking to a mechanic this week to give a look over.

Here are a few question:

I have read occasionally the automatic transmission can be a problems around 100K, Id prefer a manual but in LA its almost impossible to find one. Any comments on the auto trans? I've also heard if their maintained they are pretty mom proof.

Minor issue: Sun screen/shade in back seat on is torn and needs replacing - is this a reasonable DIY project? I imagine it just requires taking the door panel off for access. Any advice/ experience is appreciated.

SPORT RIDE - is this M suspension prone to problems and at 100K is it at the end of its life?
Its a bit stiffer then the no sport models ad the owner said he does not like the ride as much as he used too including the sport seats - he said he doesn't find it comfortable on long rides. Would love to hear some opinions on this.

VALUE: does a sport package hold more re-value over a premium?

Their asking $7800 firm which seems like a pretty competitive price especially with the service records and recent upgrades.

Now the silly part - it s in a nice Stahblau with Gray interior but I really like the TopazBlau w/ gray. It's the only item that makes me hesitate - LOL. But my pragmatic side realizes it hard to find a clean/well maintained & the exact color. Has anyone else struggled with this, comprimised one way or the other and regretted it?

Ultimately a solid car at a good price is a smart buy - but that Topaz is sweet!

Best - Colin