View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
If you haven't spent time with an older model with hydraulic steering, you might not notice the difference.

And let me clarify-- there are two distinct things here. Steering feel vs steering "weight" or amount of power assist.

BMW could have increased the power assist to make it lighter to appease Cadillac/Lexus type buyers while maintaining feel (those that have been here for a while will recall that BMW tried this when they launched the 2001 330i with significantly more boost than the 2000 328i, although at that point enthusiasts freaked, and BMW started offering a steering rack retrofit to install the rack with less boost).

The F30 system with the sport trim allows you to change the amount of assist, but even in sport mode it just becomes heavy with no feel vs light with no feel. It's hard to keep steering feel when you go from hydraulic to electric, I honestly don't know if anyone else has figured out how to do it.
I have owned e90 335 and 328. And currently own an e90. I have owned plenty of BMWs. There is plenty of feel.