View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 92 525iT Wagon M50
K.I.S.
I tell my girlfriend if she is not happy, "get more estimates". Always in writing and always ask for a better deal. But never agree until you speak to your (brother, dad, boyfriend etc...). That is the usual easy excuse to leave.

As far as mechanics, most mechanics will assume an older model vehicle will require much repair. Most may not be able to tell the difference. So always ask for an explanation and expect to be shown what needs replacement. I once had a tire rotation and a dealer gave me a laundry list of items to replace (75% of which I already did).

Mechanics always use a labor rate table. Always ask for the time and hourly rate. If unsure ask them to show you the Mitchell Labor Book or other. Then expect a 15% upcharge for parts and ask for all fees. (A complete out the door estimate).

You can check www.repairpal.com for a U.S. estimate. $1200AUS would be a top end estimate.

I suggest $75USD is fair rate and find a mechanic that allows you to bring your own parts or at least find a cheaper supplier. BMW parts are pricey...