View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Goodyear RFT - how to quickly, efficiently and freely get your tires replaced

I received the dreaded bubble on the sidewall over the weekend. Not sure how or when it happened, but was very surprised given that the roads around where I live and work are overall the best in the country that I've driven, generally speaking. I have 20" Goodyear RFTs.

Many thanks to others on the board who helped pave the way for my experience. Threads like - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=582312

Timeline:
Saturday 3pm - discovered significant bubble on the sidewall. Called Goodyear local dealer since Goodyear customer service is only open Mon-Fri. They referred me to the BMW dealer, since they usually only handle tires they sell themselves. So I wouldn't bother with your local dealer.

Monday 8.30am - Called Goodyear customer service on 1-800-321-2136. They asked politely if I had taken it to the BMW dealer, implying that this should be my first step. I said no, but asked if they could start a file for me. No problem. Name, address, date of purchase and I had my file number in hand.

Monday 8.45am - Made an appointment later to drop off the car for inspection.

Monday 9.45am - Dropped off the car. Service Advisor was initially thinking that this would be chargeable without any additional package. I mentioned that I believe this is covered by Goodyear under the tire warranty. He says he thinks he remembered reading about this, and a few keystrokes later, he's reading through it. I take a seat in the waiting room while they send the car in for tech review (basically measuring tread depth and looking at the bubble). I hand him the 1-800 number and file number.

Monday 10.45am - Goodyear confirmed that it is covered. Tire is in stock, and wheel is off the car, tire getting changed.

I'm picking up the car later today, so I don't expect any surprises. I was actually thinking I may need to do 2 visits, since the tire may not be in stock, or they may not have availability to work on the car immediately.

I hope this helps those who run into the bubbling tire issue. And if you are about to buy a new car, see if it has Goodyear RFTs, before considering any additional insurance. You won't be covered for any rim damage, but you'll be covered for tires.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 11-26-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Ads by Google