View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
I think trying to market your B&B and personal tours exclusively to BMW owners doing a European Delivery would be a very small and limiting market. First off, I would suggest that you aim at all European Delivery customers, including M-B, Audi, Porsche, and BMW and open it up to non-ED visitors as well.

As far as partnering with US BMW dealers, are you aware that BMW already has a partnership with Courtyard Travel Ltd. to provide tour packages in conjunction with European Delivery? For more information see http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...wRedirect.aspx. Excerpt: "These optional driving adventures are designed to let you experience the very best European hospitality along the way, providing unparalleled access and VIP treatment at some of the most luxurious hotels in the world." I don't know if any BMW dealer push these tours, but our CA never mentioned them.

Based on your post count, you haven't been around here very long. Spend a few hours browsing this forum and you'll find that the EDers here are a pretty independent bunch, and this forum is used to help people plan their own itineraries. Most make their own flight arrangements and hotel reservations. There are lots of recommendations here for cities and sites to see, lodging, and restaurants. I'm not sure what the "take rate" is on the "driving adventures" that BMW offers, but I can't recall a single trip report in two years that involved any of these. People occasionally ask about them, but if anyone does use them they haven't reported that here that I've seen.

I think you need to ask yourself how many "nights" can you sell at your B&B each week/month to make this viable and how likely are you to be able to attract that number of people. To give you an idea of how many Bimmerfesters do ED on a monthly basis take a look at the ED Calendar, the link can be found above. If you're giving tours to your customers who's going to be there to check in arriving guests and check-out departing guests, let along cook their meals? Since all your guests will have their own cars you may have to drive to the various cities if you want to give tours, something that will add to your overhead. Another thing to consider is repeat customers. The majority of people who do ED are either buying their car and will keep it for at least four years or they're leasing for either three or four years. It's unlikely that you'll get very many annual repeat customers.

I think that if you did open a B&B and you wanted to cater to ED customers, you would have to do something to make yourself stand out in a unique way. One way would be to offer a car wash service or facilities where your customers could do it themselves, as car washes are a frequent topic of discussion here and there's even some recommended car washes and locations mentioned in the ED Wiki. Remember, there's lots of places that are offering lodging in Europe that have been doing this for decades and even centuries. You're the new guy on the block.

These are just some of the realistic thoughts that popped into my head when I read your post. I think you really need to do a thorough business analysis with a lot more research.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 11-26-2012 at 06:46 PM.