View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
No question that family priorities shift over time.

But I'd argue, without trying to sound too elitist here, that if one can afford to purchase a $50,000 German luxury car then they surely can afford to pony up what amounts to $25 or $50 a month incremental for the privilege of perpetually driving brand new $50,000 cars.

A pack-a-day smoker will spend $450 a month on cigarettes. A social drinker will spend $300 a month hanging with the guys on Friday night's. Someone in a bowling league will fork over $275 a month to participate. Gym memberships, vacations, newspapers, movies, iTunes downloads, you get the point.

We merely make our cars into too big a deal. It's really just another monthly utility. Don't overthink it. Average out your 10 year old car and what it's true out-of-pocket cost was to you during that span. Divide by 10, divide by 12. Use that number and lease the best car you can for that outlay. Done.

And if you can't, if you simply can't get the quality of car that you want for the money you've customarily spent, well, there's another myth out the window. Turns out that it was the BMW buyer that bit off more car than he could chew, not the BMW leaser.

BJ
I think you overestimate the out of pocket costs for some cars. I have a 2006 Honda Accord, loaded with leather and Nav. It is a very comfortable car, not too far removed from your '04 TL. Since I paid it off 2.5 years ago, I've spent exactly $50 in maintenance (rear brake pads), and oil changes every 7500 miles. That's $10/month in maintenance, literally.