View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
I have the KAFAS camera on my F30 with AHB, SLI, LDW and whatnot, it looks like this (my apologies for the crappy pictures, it was morning, the sun was in a weird position and I have pretty dirty windows lol):

The other camera (with the cam on the bottom) looks a bit like how it is with the F30 of a friend of mine, he does have AHB but no SLI or LDW. The camera/sensor housing on my car is almost twice, if not triple, the size of that of my friend's F30.

Btw, doesn't LDW also make use of the sensors/radar on the rear and side of the car? Taken from the BMW website (here (I know this article is for a 5 series but it should work all the same)):

Quote:
At the rear of the vehicle the Lane Change Warning uses radar sensors to inform the driver via a symbol on the wing mirror if there is a vehicle currently in their blind spot or if a vehicle is approaching quickly from the rear. As soon as the driver uses the indicator to change lanes, they are warned in potentially dangerous situations by a flashing LED signal and vibrations.

The camera positioned at the front of the vehicle assists the Lane Departure Warning system. At speeds above 70 km/h it monitors the edge of the road and the markings so that even before the vehicle unintentionally leaves its lane, the system issues a warning to the driver by making the steering wheel vibrate. Indicating deactivates this technology from BMW ConnectedDrive while the driver is turning off or changing lanes. The built-in collision warning serves as an attentive driving assistant and offers added safety: in a two-step process, it warns the driver of a possible collision if a vehicle ahead of him brakes suddenly.
It says the LDW gets 'assisted' by the camera, so (and I'm totally guessing here) couldn't that mean that it is just a part of a bigger system? And with that, isn't it possible the SLI is also part of that bigger system?

I have no idea why the systems are not the same but I do know that there is a big difference in camera(housings) between the F30's that are only equipped with AHB and those who have SLI, LDW, Collision Warning and so on. It could have something to do with the system as a whole, or maybe more simple as in cost-reducing since AHB is fairly common while the driver assistance package isn't

Last edited by svache; 11-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.