View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Technically there are only two messages:

Oil Service
Inspection

The system alternates between the two when you reset the interval. All inspection 2 item are milage or time based changes (ie brake fluid, trans fluid, spark plugs ect).

My understanding of the counter is that it is based off of liters of fuel consumed. With that in mind my next comment makes sense...YMMV...

My 09 has 103k on the ODO, bought new, and used as a highway commuter. I typically get 24 - 26 mpg depending on my lead foot. My average oil change/inspection counter is about 16k to 18k.

I change my oil when the counter gets close to 8k (double the recommendation). I always change the oil again when it hit zero and I do this irregardless if it says oil change or inspection. When I can figure out the coding modules I plan on changing this to be 8,000 miles only. I found some promising coding tips on e46 forums.

The only things I do different:

When oil change or inspection hits 0, that's my reminder to change cabin air filter and check air filter ( usually change at inspection...every 4th oil change).

Also at inspection when it hits 0 miles that's my reminder to do the following:

Brake fluid
Differential
Transfer case
Transmission fluid
Coolant change and expansion tank inspection
Check suspension

I am a classic over maintainer with 300k miles as my end game. So take my recommendations with a grain of salt...

Last edited by x3brian; 11-27-2012 at 01:09 PM.