View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
No, I didn't mic the rotors, but they looked pretty good to me. The outer edge was not substantially greater than the rest of the rotor. Remember my pads were worn to only 1mm. At this point there was only minor brake vibrations in the current rotor state. If you think about it, the min rotor thickness is probably more of a warning that the caliper piston is protruding past its limit, causing vibrations between the caliper cylinder and piston due to the reduced contact area between the two. Now that my piston is seated far back into the caliper bore with the new pads, that shouldn't be an issue for a long time. I have a feeling that the rotor thickness spec is more for this reason than it is for rotor integrity. There is no way that a rotor with that much meat on it will simply just fail. It doesn't happen like that.

On another note, Pep Boys are now A+ in my book. They not only honored the black friday sale price today, but they also extended it to a set of front pads as well. They understood that the parts guy quoted me the wrong price at the time. And I don't feel that the saying "you get what you pay for" applies to this case. Remember, these pads are priced at $67/$47 F/R on any other day. This was just a one day per year special. Last year they were only $9.99 per set.

Looking at the fronts, however, they are rated FE. The compound is visually different from the rears (little bits of copper in the rear, none in the front). So I'll reiterate my recommendation, these pads are surely not the first choice at full price. But at $11 per set, they will work great to have in your garage as a back-up set if you are in a pinch. For the tame drivers out there who don't typically do hard braking, these pads will work just fine. You may not even notice any difference from OEM.

I think this is the start of a new black friday tradition

Last edited by gomolka30; 11-27-2012 at 09:26 PM.